There is a world of advice out there on what to eat and how to lose weight. Just look at google and you get overloaded with an extraordinary amount of information that can be confusing and damn right contradictory.
Some many diets to choose from makes the mind explode and turn to jelly. No wonder 95% of diets fail! Yes that's, correct 95%.
Slimming World Weight Watchers
They all have one thing in common. They put your body in a calories deficit, sounds great, right? Yes, it would be if you can keep it up. Who wants to spend the next few months half starving yourself on a shake or not being able to eat chocolate because it's a "sin." We lose weight in the first few weeks but feel miserable because we cannot tackle the pack of Maltesers sitting on top of the kitchen cupboard beckoning you to open the packet and eat their contents.
What happens then?
You hit rock bottom because you cannot sustain this food restrictions anymore and you start to binge eat and feel bad about yourself. After a few weeks/months you start the whole cycle again...lose some weight, put more back on. We have all been there, but let's be clear. You don't fail the diet the diet fails you!
All you should try and do is:
Eat mostly healthy foods (unprocessed foods that come from the ground and leans meats) and have a small treat when you want to.
That’s basically it! Let’s break it down a little more.
Most of your food, around 80% should be from healthy choices of food you like. The other 20% can be foods that you may think of it as a treat.
My calories for the day are 2400kcals so 0.80x2400=1920. (0.80 is 80%) 2400-1920=480. So, my treat calories are around 480kcal. This is my calorie range and everyone is different. Women tend to have a lower calorie need. If you look online for a BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) calculator, it will tell you how many calories you should be eating.
If you want to lose weight you should take the calories down by around 20% if the calculator does not account for this.
Example the BMR calculator says I should be eating 2700 to maintain my current weight. But I need to lose some weight so I do this calculation:
2700x0.20=540kcal (this is my daily calorie deficit)
We must remember that it takes 3500kcal to lose around a pound of fat. So, by this assumption we should lose around a pound a week!
So, to lose weight I need to be eating around 2160 a day to start losing weight.
Don’t trust the scales to tell you the complete story.
Our weight will fluctuate throughout the day. Just remember when you drink half a litre of water (just a large glass.) You will put on over a pound in weight instantly!
Does this mean you have piled on a pound of fat? Certainly not. If your drinking around two litres a day that is over four pounds of weight but not fat…water has no calories. Worrying about your weight using scales is a false measurement and needs to be taken in context with a healthy lifestyle.
If you’re in a calories deficit and doing moderate exercise you will lose weight!
Make weight loss simple by just having a healthy lifestyle but still having treats. This will help in your long-term goals to lose weight and more importantly...keep it off.
Just be consistent and trust the process. It WILL happen.